This video is a bit awkward as the cameraman had bad lighting and an unsteady floor. The woodwork in the ceiling was smooth, appeared to be pine, and was bolted or screwed together (i.e., no nails). The arches and rafters mimic the main nave ceiling. The plaster was never finished. Dr. Geo. H. Perrin, an early church founder, signed his name on one of the arches, followed by “Cynthiana, H. County.” (at 1:12). For reference, the church building was finished in 1860.
Vague and sketchy written records of baptisms, confirmations and deaths begin about 1846. Often these written records are undated and incomplete. All of the early baptisms, confirmations and deaths are available as PDF downloads on this website, below.
The Episcopal or Protestant Episcopal Church is that branch of the Anglican church in America which became independent of the Church of England in 1789 by adopting a constitution of its own. Prior to 1811 the church made little progress. However, during the next ten years the Episcopal Church made advancement in 13 states.
Cynthiana was chartered in 1793 and became the peer of Paris, Georgetown, and other county seats. Stores, mills, newspapers, factories, and churches were established. As early as 1800, Harrison Academy was in operation. It was located where the old cemetery [The Graveyard] is on North Main Street. The Presbyterians, Methodists, and “Christians” all erected their own places of worship. When the Reverend Amos Glover Baldwin, an Episcopal priest from western New York, visited Kentucky in 1820 on behalf of the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society, he reported that a Reverend William Wall officiated occasionally at Cynthiana. There seems to be no apparent results from these meetings.
The following is from
“The Great Elm Tree: Heritage of the Episcopal Diocese of Lexington”
by Swinford and Lee, Faith House Press, Lexington, Kentucky, 1969.
The first Episcopal parish in the county was organized at Leesburg, a prosperous community nine miles southeast of Cynthiana. It was situated at the crossing of well-traveled roads, and until the coming of the railroads bid fair to be a sizable town.
Episcopal services were held there for a year or so beginning in November 1834 by Deacon Edmund Davis, one of the first graduates of the Episcopal Theological Seminary in Kentucky. He resided near Leesburg until his return in 1835 to his native England.
The Reverend Amos Cleaver then came over from Paris occasionally to hold services, but the group was held together chiefly by two laymen, William Hearne and his brother James. William, owner of a cotton factory and a man of influence in the surrounding country, was a communicant of St. Peter’s Church in Paris. By the spring of 1836 he had organized a half dozen families of Episcopal persuasion into a parish at Leesburg called Christ Church, which was admitted to the Diocese at the stormy convention in May. William Hearne served as its first lay delegate on that occasion and at the 1837 meeting, and remained steadfastly loyal to Bishop Smith. [To gain an understanding into the diocesean problems of Bishop Smith you can read the chapter, “Dissension in the Diocese,” from The Great Elm Tree.] Meanwhile, William and James were largely responsible for the erection of a “small, but very neat and judicious church edifice,” which was not completed until along in 1839. During the years it was being built, the parish had services twice a month by the Reverend Charles Crowe, A.B., University of Dublin, a recent graduate of the theological seminary who was teaching intermittently in Cynthiana and Lexington.
After his return to Ireland some time before 1844, the Reverend Amos Cleaver again came occasionally to Leesburg. But while neighboring towns were growing, Leesburg remained a crossroads community and the Episcopalian congregation dwindled. The Hearne brothers sold the modest church building, for which they had furnished most of the funds, and some years later contributed the proceeds to the church in Cynthiana.
Regular services were begun in Cynthiana in early 1837 by Charles Crowe and James S. Greene, another Irish seminarian, who were residing in the town in order to “hold school in the academy building.” Since these zealous young candidates for Holy Orders had not been ordained to the diaconate, they held “lay readings” and organized a group that applied to the annual convention in May for admittance to the Diocese as St. Paul’s Church. This somewhat hasty organization was an effort on the part of Bishop [Benjamin Bosworth] Smith’s loyal theological students to get votes for his defense at the forthcoming convention. In nearby Bath County three other students, N. N. Cowgill, Edward F. Berkley, and F. B. Nash effected a similar organization which applied to be admitted as Ascension Church in Owingsville. Meanwhile the anti-Smith partisans were equally diligent, and even more successful, in fostering new parishes during their controversy with the Bishop. They succeeded in blocking the admission of both the Cynthiana and the Owingsville groups. St. Paul’s in Cynthiana and Ascension Church in Owingsville, along with St. Mark’s in Bourbon County and other “ghost parishes” of this era, dropped out of sight, save for future historians.
After the convention in May 1837, N. N. Cowgill, a youth from Pennsylvania who had graduated at Transylvania, took over the academy in Cynthiana and also continued to hold “lay readings” in the churches of other denominations. When Bishop Smith ordained Cowgill in December he sent the young deacon out to begin a lifetime of heroic missionary work in the small parishes all over Kentucky.
The history of the Church of the Advent, Cynthiana, is one of long and arduous periods. There have been few times in its past where it was prosperous; not so much because of a lack of zeal on the part of its members as much as the lack of length of time spent there by its rectors and vicars. Looking over its history one can see that when it had a rector or vicar that stayed there any reasonable length of time the membership and enthusiasm of the members increased. This single factor more than any other has contributed to the growth or decline of the Church of the Advent.
In January 1838, Mr. Cowgill was ordained deacon and left Cynthiana for Zion Church, Shelbyville. He was succeeded by the Reverend Charles Crowe, who not only took charge of Cynthiana, but also Leesburg.
In May 1838, he was reported to have said at convention, “I am sorry to say the prospects of the Church in Cynthiana, at present, are not good… but this, in my opinion, is much more than counterbalanced by the prosperous appearance it wears in Leesburg.” Leesburg at this time had seven communicants, whereas Cynthiana had hardly any. A base was definitely lacking in Cynthiana.
In 1839, the Reverend Charles Crowe moved to Cynthiana and conducted a school there as well as…services both at Leesburg and at Cynthiana.
Not much is heard of the Church at Cynthiana after the spring of 1839; for Crowe moved to Lexington in order to carry on work in Leesburg and Versailles. It seems that Cynthiana was sacrificed for the welfare of the other two more prosperous communities.
According to the parochial report of the Rev. G.G. Moore, rector at Paris, “On the fourth of November, 1846, Episcopal service was commenced in this place [Cynthiana] and continued regularly once a month in addition to which several successive services were held at different times in connection with the Rev. Mr. Berkly [Berkley] of Lexington.” Mr. Moore’s report continues: “The sixth of January… a parish was duly organized and the present incumbent invited to the rectorship where he officiates regularly the second Sunday in each month and once a week day in the intermediate time.”
There were listed in May 1847, 15 communicates. On May 8, 1847, the Articles of Association of the Church of the Advent were presented to the Diocesan Convention and acted upon favorably; Dr. [George] Perrin and. Mr. William Hearne were recognized as accredited delegates.
In February 1848, the Reverend G.G. Moore resigned his rectorship at Paris and Cynthiana, and Bishop Smith was quoted as saying, “I cannot refrain from the expression of my sympathy for the few resolute Episcopalians at Cynthiana, who are struggling bravely against the discouragement consequent upon the loss of the services of the Rev. Mr. Moore, and who are likely for years to require more than a common share of our cooperation and support.” Consequently, there were no delegates from Cynthiana at the 1848 convention.
By the first of October, a rector came to Paris and Cynthiana, the Reverend Horace Hill Reid, from the diocese of New York. His initial report listed 17 communicants in Cynthiana and a Sunday School with four teachers. Parish contributions, at this time, were: to Domestic Missions - $3, for Prayer Books - $5, and to the Episcopal Fund - $15. According to Reid’s report, “This parish is still feeble but in some respects the prospects are brightening. A semimonthly appointment is regularly kept and every service attracts large congregations. The children receive regular catechetical instruction.”
Reid’s tenure was short and before the convention of 1850, he had transferred to the diocese of Connecticut. For the next couple of years there is not much evidence of “life” in the Church at Cynthiana, except for $15 which was paid to the Episcopal Fund in August of 1850.
Bishop Smith got things rolling again in 1851 when he requested that the Reverend Carter Page, then officiating in Bowling Green and Russellville, to spend the month of December in Cynthiana. This led to his being called as rector in February 1852. He reported that there were nine communicants and 20 Sunday School “scholars.” He conducted two services each Sunday in the buildings of various denominational churches, and by convention time he had acquired $2,000 from “three individuals toward the erection of a church edifice and there is a good prospect of raising $600 more.”
With this beginning the parish negotiated for a half-acre lot on which to build. Within another year, the lot had been purchased, and the walls and roof were to be constructed by the fall of 1853.
Professor L.G. Marshall furnished the data on churches and schools for Perrin’s history of Cynthiana, compiled in 1881, and said, “The doctrines of the Church of England were first promulgated in Cynthiana by Dr. Berkley of Lexington in 1846. Dr. Berkley was an accomplished scholar, speaker and churchman. His pleasing address commended his views to the favorable consideration of his hearers, and his learning and uprightness of character commanded their respect.”
Dr. Berkley was comparatively young and later moved to St. Louis where he was an honored and revered clergyman at the date of publication of Perrin’s history in 1881.
The following is from
“Perrin’s History of Harrison County”
During 1840, the Reverend G.G. Moore, Rector of the Episcopal Church of Paris, visited our city in the interests of his order, once a month, perhaps; organized a church of four members and became their pastor. Service was held in the courthouse; sometimes, by courtesy in the Methodist Church and sometimes in the Presbyterian Church. Rector Moore continued his charge only a year or two, removed to Smithland, Kentucky, and died there in 1850.
After the retirement of Mr. Moore, we find no special pastor in charge for two or three years, until 1852, when Reverend Carter Page was chosen Rector, and held that office until 1865. Mr. Page was an able and popular preacher, and also an eminent teacher of the classics.
During his whole period of 12 years, Mr. Page combined successfully the arduous duties of preacher and teacher. He later moved to Missouri and is as “spirited as ever” [according to Perrin’s history of 1881].
One of the four members who constituted the church at its first organization was Dr. George H. Perrin. [In 1881 he was considered a most affable, learned and venerable gentleman. See the biography of Dr. Perrin in another chapter, below.] He was fully “up” in the history and learning of his church, and might easily have been a most powerful polemic in the theological field, had he so elected. He was recognized for his luminous and incisive essays which occasionally appeared from his pen.
Dr. Perrin was a man of action and decided convictions; and in 1852 the church had no house of worship. That same year, a lot on Walnut Street, fronting Mill Street, was purchased of Henry F. Cromwell for $225, and the building begun. It was to be of stone, the ground plan in the form of a Latin cross, that is, a cross of which the shaft below the transverse bar is longer than that part which rises above the transverse bar. Of this church the nave is the main shaft, and the transept is the transverse bar, when we look upon the whole structure as a Latin cross.
The main shaft, measured externally, is 75x33 feet, the interior forming the nave, which is 65x26 feet, the interior forming the transept. In the north end of the transept is the vestry room, and in the south end is the music room. The altar and desk are in the east end of the nave, which will seat about 300 people. A huge square rises about 60 feet, unfinished on the south side of the western end of the nave, and in this tower is the main door to the audience room or nave.
In 1876, a bell costing $600 was placed in the tower. The tones of the bell are rich and grand, but not fully appreciated, because they are badly muffled by the very narrow gothic windows of the tower. In fact, the whole building is of the strictest gothic order of the 14th century, without ornament, however. Its massiveness and air of repose remind the spectator of what he may have read or seen of the old churches in the north of England or Scotland, or the Hebrides.
When we enter through the door of the somber tower, the effect of the interior is in keeping with that of the exterior. The high, narrow gothic windows admit a softened light through the stained glass. (The triple windows above the altar were designed of clear glass with red border. The windows were replaced with handsome stained glass ones about 1900, 19 years after the publishing of Perrin’s History). The antique, the dim, the solemn, and the beautiful seem all combined, whether by accident or design, in the simple architecture.
The building cost only $6,500, and was carried to its present degree of completion in 1851, when it was duly consecrated by Bishop Benjamin Bosworth Smith, of Kentucky. Of the expense, Dr. Perrin supplied 5,500….
William Thompson, who had joined from the Presbyterians, contributed $1,000. (The grounds around the church were enclosed, graded, and ornamented, a rather advanced step at the time).
Of the $6,500 for the building, $75 was a gift from Christ Church, Lexington, $95 from St. Paul’s Church, Louisville, and there were still no pews and open windows, and the inside was unplastered and unpainted. Bishop Smith put out a plea for contributions at the next convention in order to complete the work. But it seems that his plea fell
on deaf ears. Due to the personal courage and expertise of the Reverend Carter Page, the money was secured and the inside finished.[It was a small parish to have achieved such an ambitious goal, with only 17 communicants and their families, and a Sunday school of about 40.]
In the year 1857, Page conducted regular services for the African-American population of Cynthiana, at which he says, “A large number have always been in attendance.” The Church building was publicly opened for services at the end of March 1857.
In the construction there was no contractor, the stone-work being done by good workmen, under direction of interested members. The woodwork was made and finished, ready to be put up, in Cincinnati; it was then hauled to its destination and put together, as unceremoniously as the stonework. The seats, however, were made by William Roper. The building “stands back about 50 feet from the street pavement.
The church model was three or four feet broad by as many high, made by Bishop Smith at Frankfort, at the moderate cost of $10, and sent to the church at Cynthiana. This model was exactly imitated in the building.
For several years the parish grew steadily and work on the building continued. In 1859 Christ Church, Louisville, contributed $25, St. Peter’s, Paris, $81.
In the spring of 1860 the tower was completed at a cost of $175, and the church was ready for consecration. The Reverend Carter Page’s report of that year stated that there were 13 communicants and 40 Sunday School pupils.
Page continued his work into the Civil War period, leaving the parish in 1862. After his departure, services were interrupted for several years and the church was left without regular ministrations until after the close of the war.
In 1881, Bishop Smith… was a senior Bishop in the Episcopal Church of English-speaking people throughout the world. He was consecrated in 1832.
In 1866, the Reverend Charles Stewart took charge, but he only remained for one year. After he left, the Reverend Dr. Silas Totten, Principle of Christ Church Seminary, Lexington, “did able and wise services in the parish during the following two years,” according to the brief history of the parish register.
The Assistant Bishop Dr. Cummings visited the parish on Dec. 8, 1868, preaching, confirming three, and baptizing one.
The following May at convention, a report was made concerning the lack of ministration at Cynthiana, and the Rev. Walter Tearne took the parish. [This ends Perrin’s history concerning the church].
It must be noted that the information from Mr. Marshall for Perrin’s history came from verbal testimony of a few of the parishioners of the Church of the Advent.
In a brief and undated comment published in The Cynthiana Democrat, at a later date, a parishioner said, “At the time of the laying of the corner stone, (May 5, 1855), Dr. George H. Perrin and Mr. William Thompson entered the parish, as did Mr. Edward Coleman, and by their liberality the building was constructed. [This is incorrect because Dr. George H. Perrin and his wife were baptized on Dec. 1, 1846, nine years earlier].
It seems evident that both these gentlemen were probably members of the parish prior to the planning of the construction of the edifice. Due to the amount of money provided and the probable use for labor of the many slaves owned by Dr. Perrin, the edifice would not have been built without his commitment. [Testimony passed down from an unnamed source by way of Mrs. Henry W. Oxley says, “There is no question about the use of slaves to build the church. Not only by Dr. Perrin’s slaves, but by the slave labor of many of the other members. Dr. Perrin owned many more slaves than did anyone else. He used them in his farming business.”].
Some newspaper clippings claim the model used for the construction of the church was of wood while others claim the model was of cardboard. Most accounts say the model was in Cynthiana for many years. There is no record of what happened to the model. A two-page typewritten account of the church’s history states: “This account may have been written or dictated by Mrs. Lizzie Frisbie, in the opinion of Mrs. Charles Kuster, of Church of the Advent.” [It was written after 1952]. The account indicates about the church model: “The plan of the church was made from a cardboard model of Stoke-Poges made by Bishop Smith after his visit to St. Giles. (When at a meeting of the Woman’s Guild of the Church of the Advent, I ventured to remark that I had my doubts about the church and this model, and two of the ladies present, Miss Lucy Peck and Dr. Marie Boyd, were indignant and said they had seen the model and had played with it).
Also of interest from this story, and unduplicated from previous articles, is a statement about a visit from the Reverend Carter Page’s granddaughter. “About one hundred years after Mr. Page’s death, his granddaughter came to Cynthiana and inquired about the church in which he had been so interested and for which he had spent many anxious hours. She was glad to find that his work was still appreciated and was very pleased with his memorial, a beautiful stained glass window (one of three) over the altar in the east end of the church.”
There exists three brief statements about an eyewitness account of the building of the church.
1) “But once when I happened to be early for church, Uncle Green Johnson, the janitor, told me that he had helped build the church and that a man had fallen from the roof and had broken his leg.”
2) “Everyone who was there on the first day we started to build the church reached down in their pockets, and those who ‘had’ pulled out a coin. Those who ‘hadn’t’ were given a coin by someone else. I don’t know if anyone knows now or not as to where in the walls amongst the stones that they put them coins.” [This statement is believed to have been passed down from Eliza Trimble].
3) “People liked stopping by and watching the building of the church. The men who did the building took a lot of good hearted ribbing every now and then.” [From an unknown source in the church records].
From “Cromwell’s Comment” the Democrat, 1900
In this account of the building of the edifice the writer states: “The building cost only $6,500, and carried to its present degree of completion in 1854, when it was duly consecrated… and that $5,000 of the expense was supplied by Dr. Perrin, and $1,000 contributed by William Thompson.”
We are further told that the church was built according to a model of an old church in England, “Stokes Poges,” which was furnished by Bishop Smith, and that this model was to be seen in Cynthiana for a number of years after the building was finished.
We also call attention to the fact that the Episcopalians are unique in that they are the only congregation in Cynthiana still using their original house of worship.
Writing for Cynthiana readers a description of the outside of this fine old church building is scarcely necessary; it may be in order, however, to briefly mention the inside.
The three memorial windows, over the altar, are commemorative to Dr. George H. Perrin, the Reverend Carter Page and the Reverend George Weeks.
The alter is hand-carved, the carving having been done by some members of the church, some friends of the church, and the Reverend Dyer, a former pastor.
At opposite sides of the altar, on the walls, appear the creed and commandments. Gold letters on a black background form the tablets.
The pipe organ, the first to come to Cynthiana, is still in use, bearing the date 1881.
There are also other memorials of departed loved ones placed there by their families.
Adjoining the church building is a commodious rectory.
… Mrs. Henry W. Oxley… included in her notes other valuable data in reference to the interior decorations of the church building.
Many items of importance concerning the history of the Church of the Advent come from bits and pieces of pages, handwritten and kept with a series of incomplete scrapbooks.
The general stories of the building of the church are very similar, but occasionally there will be a bit of additional information.
From a small singular page describing the early history: “In the spring of 1860 the tower was completed and the church was ready for consecration. That service was held by Bishop Smith on Saturday the 14th of May. The church and rectory sit back in a yard on the large lot… The church was built according to a model of Stoke-Poges in England… a comparison of the two churches as they stand today makes it conclusively evident that the Church of the Advent is of the general type, but by no means a faithful replica of Stoke-Poges… The creeds have always been on the walls.
The following is from a handwritten text found within a book in the archives of the Church of the Advent. [In order not to repeat much of the information already given, the text has been condensed to those passages which have not been mentioned. Several of the handwritten words are difficult to decipher without a long and dedicated attempt to study them. At this time we have made an honest, and hopefully faithful, attempt to keep true to the meaning of the script].
“The Rev. Mr. Crowe, a deacon from Ireland, came to Cynthiana and opened a school and carried on the church services which Mr. Cowgill had begun. He also held services and preached at the neighboring station of Leesburg where a small church edifice had been erected. During this period Bishop Smith, himself, made occasional visits to the place and held services and preached.”
[Concerning the Episcopal Church congregation]:
“ No great impression was made upon the community for some time; but at last Dr. Geo. H. Perrin, a prominent physician of this place, was induced to look into the claim of this church. In doing this he read such books as Dr. Jno. E. Cooke’s essay on the “Invalidity of Presbyterian Ordination,” Chapman’s sermons on the “Claims of the Church” and the writings of Bishop Ravenscroft.” Becoming thoroughly convinced of the evangelical and historical character of this church and of her apostles’ order he espoused her cause with the greatest zeal and on the first day of Dec. 1846 he and his wife were baptised by immersion (in the Licking River), the Reverend G.G. Moore, Rector of the church at Paris, administering the sacrament….
“For many years Dr. Perrin thought it impossible to form a parish in Cynthiana and proposed to put in his membership in the church at Paris; but acting on the advice of Bishop Smith, it was afterwards dismissed to organize a parish and erect a church edifice. The parish was duly organized and admitted into union with the Diocese in the year 1847, Dr. Perrin and Mr. William Hearne being the delegates.”
Bishop Smith may have been the one who suggested the Church of the Advent’s name and once referred to the name as being “singularly appropriate" and a “charming historic record” of the “sudden awakening” that brought about its founding.
In April 1847 the Bishop visited the new parish to confirm a class of 11 persons presented by Mr. Moore. Their names were recorded as follows: George H. Perrin, Arabella Perrin, Agnes Coleman, J.A. Pritchard, Sarah Musser, Prudence Gruell, William Thompson, Sarah Thompson, John Trimble, John B. Gruell and [on the following day] Eliza Trimble. The parish now had 15 communicants, plus their families and numerous regular attendants at services. “Mr. William Thompson at this time came into the church and took much interest in it. Also Mr. Edward Coleman. The work of the church building was pushed on quite rapidly.”
The Rector, Mr. Carter Page, reports at the 27th Annual Council of Kentucky, which was held at Trinity, Covington: “We are much pleased to report that the church edifice, about which we have been so long talking and hoping, is at last under contract. The corner stone was laid by Bishop Smith on the 5th of May. The building is to be of stone and in accordance with a model furnished by the Bishop and at the estimated cost of $6,500. Of this $3,500 has already been subscribed.”
In the Bishop’s address he said: “My recent visit through Central Kentucky is marked by one single incident — the laying of the corner stone of the Church of the Advent, Cynthiana. By the great liberality of a very few friends, it promises to be one of the neatest and most complete of our small churches and the first in the Diocese constructed of stone. It marks an era which I trust will never pass away.”
The Reverend Mr. Page reported: “The general attendance on his services has been good, and the state of his Sunday School leads him to hope that his labors will be crowned with more abundant success after the church is completed and open for worship. Nearly $4,500 have been expended on it and yet it still remains without pews, unplastered and unpainted. I doubt not, however, though my people have been most heavily taxed in bringing it to its present state (more than $4,000 having been raised in the parish), yet if encouraged, even to moderate extent by the contributions of their friends abroad, they would by a powerful effort put the church in a condition for use during the summer or fall.”
In the Bishop’s address he says: "I found our little church edifice in Cynthiana at an absolute standstill for want of a few hundred dollars, to glaze, plaster and seat it, after the most generous contributions upon the spot, in bringing it so near to completion, of any that have ever been made in any part of the Diocese, by persons no better able to make such noble sacrifices, with the single exception of Princeton. My deliberate advice to them is either to worship in it in its present unfinished state, or to leave it just as it is until the sympathies of the Diocese are aroused to furnish the means for finishing it.”
St. Peter’s Church, Paris, Wednesday, May 27, 1857, the Rev. Mr. Page reports: “The new church edifice, which at the period of the rector’s last report was unglazed, unplastered and without pews or chancel arrangements, has been completed in all of these respects and a hundred dollars in addition has been expended in painting and varnishing the body of the church, the open timber roof still untouched by the painter’s brush. The rector returned to this parish last summer greatly disheartened at his almost utter failure to procure any effectual aid from the church people in Louisville in behalf of his struggling church; but on assuming a large personal responsibility, he stimulated some of his parishioners (who had already been too heavily taxed) to come forward and put the church in its present comfortable condition. More than $1,000 have been expended on it since the rector’s last report, all of which was contributed by two or three individuals in his parish and himself, except $140.
“The choir is preparing to give a concert, the proceeds of which, together with what has already been contributed, will probably be sufficient to purchase a small organ. Services have been held regularly in the church since Christmas, and the rector feels encouraged at the uniformly good congregations that have been in attendance.
“Baptisms 3, one adult and two children. Confirmation 1. Services have been held regularly for the African-American population and large numbers have always been in attendance.”
The Bishop reports a very interesting service on the occasion of the opening, in a public manner, of the most beautiful little church at Cynthiana. In 1857, Bishop Smith was in England. After his return at this 30th convention he spoke of his having been away and added: “Could I only hope that I have brought back a heart more full of self-sacrifice, devotion to the interests of the church in this Diocese; and more wise to plan, more patient to endure and more courageous to dare anything and everything which its welfare calls for at the hands of its first Bishop, then I should feel satisfied. With less I never can be.”
The rector reported his having been in his own parish on each Sunday of the month, and the greater festivals of the church, and has been encouraged in his labors generally. Baptisms 2, marriage 1, funerals 4, confirmations 2, contributions — episcopate $15 and convocation $20.
Baptisms 5, confirmations 1, communicants added 4, present number 14, marriages 1, Sunday School teachers 5, pupils 30.
Contributions: Episcopate $15, convocation $30, toward completing and furnishing church, $500. About $1,000 has been spent on the church; one-half has been contributed by friends in Louisville, Lexington and Paris, with the rest from the parish.
For 1860 the report runs about the same, with the Reverend Carter Page, Rector. [Reverend Page’s academy suffered financially during the war years. He left during the Civil War, in 1862, and for several years services were interrupted and the church left without regular ministration. Reverend Page became principal of St. Matthew’s School in Jefferson County, near Louisville, where he remained for nearly ten years before his removal to Missouri].
“As is the case everywhere the work for many years went on but slowly. Great opposition was made and much prejudice, and even down to the year 1880, the time of this present writing, it is with difficulty that the parish can sustain full services of the church; but enough progress has been made to show the wisdom of undertaking the work.
“The seed sown is already beginning to bring forth fruit. The congregation is good and the claims of the church are being more and more recognized.”
“The church edifice is the first one of stone erected in the Diocese and cost about $7,000. May it long stand as a monument to the memory of those who erected it, and especially to the memory of the distinguished layman who has contributed so much for its support from the beginning and who with his able pen has done so much to defend the doctrine.”
Within this church, as well as many other churches, stories have been told that many soldiers, of both sides, found comfort and a moment’s peace sitting inside the dark and quiet sanctuary of the these houses of worship. Churches were not always bypassed by canons and fire during struggles for control or the land. We can be grateful that our church did not fall in this time of war which took place just outside its walls.
The Bishop’s address of 1866 is filled with the needs for Diocesan Missions. He names nine missions where it is impossible for the people to contribute more than $200 annually, and with the high price of living it seems cruel to offer men less than $800 or $1,000. Cynthiana was one of these nine. The Reverend Charles Stewart took charge and continued one year.
Rev. Dr. Silas Totten from Lexington gave services to Cynthiana and another mission.
The following is redacted from a typewritten manuscript titled, “The History of the Church of the Advent Cynthiana,” by Gregg L. Riley, Senior Seminarian, Episcopal Theological Seminary in Kentucky, May 7, 1979. Rev. Riley’s full unedited history is featured below.
Tearne (Walter), was ordained deacon, Easter, 1869, and began visiting Cynthiana; it was not until August that he accepted charge. Nine communicants were all that he had, but they paid Tearne a salary of $582.63.
They also spent $548.50 on the building and sent $40 to the Episcopal Fund in just ten months.
(Mr. Walter Tearne was made Deacon and placed in Cynthiana by Bishop Smith. The Reverend Mr. Tearne reports that he became regular minister at Cynthiana in August of 1869. He found the members of the parish in a “crushed and deplorable condition.” He said, “Nine discouraged and disheartened souls keeping the lamp burning.” In May 1870 they had become self-supporting. Minister’s salary $582.63, with improvements, repairs and current expenses of $548.50. Episcopate $10, baptisms 4, communicants 23, marriage 1, burials 2, public services on Sundays 80, Sunday School teachers 7, pupils 62, Bible class 31.)
On January 24, 1870, Tearne was ordained priest. Twenty-two communicants were reported in 1871. The number of Sunday School pupils was 37 with five teachers. On July 1, 1871 Tearne resigned and went to Mt. Sterling.
During the period of July 1871 until April 1875, there were no regular services held at Advent. During this period Dr. Silas Trotten [Totten], along with Bishop Dudley, the Reverend George A. Weeks of Paris, and the Reverend Charles T. Kellog visited the church off and on. The latter was soon contacted by the vestry and he held regular services until April 1876, when the Reverend J. S. Johnston, formerly of Mississippi, took charge of the parish. Johnston also had charge of Mt. Sterling and had to alternate services. A year later the parish reported 24 communicants and the rector said, “This parish, I think, shows evident signs of improvement….” The Reverend Mr. Johnston resigned as missionary to Mt. Sterling and Cynthiana in January 1880, and went to Alabama.
(In 1876 , the Reverend J. S. Johnston, Rector, reported the number of families as 11, and the number of souls as 60. He took charge in the spring of 1876 and continued for three years.)
The Reverend George A. Weeks came once a month from Paris after the departure of the Reverend Johnston in 1880. During this time the parish was searching for a rector and located one in the person of the Reverend Edward S. Cross, from the missionary district of Colorado.
(Bishop Dudley says in his address to the convention in 1880, “Rev. George A. Weeks, of Paris, has taken charge of the church in Cynthiana, giving one Sunday in the month to that work. The money collected aggregated $120.”
In 1881 Dr. George H. Perrin, Senior Warden, reported; “During nearly half the past year this parish has been without any regular ministration. When services have been held the congregations have been remarkably large and attentive. The parish has a good deal of zeal and life in it and is now looking anxiously forward to the coming of the new rector who is expected at white suntide [whitsuntide].”
Bishop Dudley says, “Cynthiana is a most important work. Rev. G.A. Weeks of Paris has not been able to give much time. Here the churchmen have ever been enthusiastic and willing. When the services of an earnest worker are secured — one to abide among the people — the work will gain strength and permanency.”)
As it turned out, their expectations were in vain for Cross only stayed nine months and left Cynthiana for the diocese of Central Pennsylvania. Again, the parish was without regular services.
About the first of the year 1883, the Reverend John F. Spivey, deacon, came from the diocese of Iowa to accept the rectorship. Within three months he baptized 13 and presented eight for confirmation. On May 21, he was recommended for the priesthood.
The ordination took place on May 26, at Christ Church, Louisville. The church prospered under Spivey’s leadership, and he became endeared to the people’s hearts.
It was unfortunate that his leadership was short lived. For around the first of the year 1884, he took ill and died on March the 27. During his illness he was unable to conduct services, and the church was closed from January until August 1884.
(His body was carried to North Carolina by his brothers who came to him just before his death. He was buried in his native place.)
At this time the Reverend G. A. Weeks resigned as rector of St. Peter’s, Paris, and became rector of Advent. At the coming of the Reverend Weeks, the congregation contracted for a new stone baptismal font as a memorial to the Reverend John F. Spivey. It stands as a tribute to him today and is still in use.
This was also the spring that Bishop Smith died and the Rt. Reverend T.U. Dudley became the second Bishop of Kentucky.
For the next five years the Reverend Weeks’ rectorship was the highlight of the history of Advent. The communicant list increased, the Sunday School flourished, and the church as a whole was in good health.
(The secretary of the Diocesan Board of Missions reports in 1889, among other evidences of prosperity in the Diocese, that Cynthiana has $1,250 collected for the rectory and $5,000 contributed for the endowment of the church.)
The only records for the next two years show the number of confirmed as eight per year. In August of 1889, the Reverend Weeks gave up his work because of his health and moved to Lexington. During his rectorship he presented 37 for confirmation and baptized the same number.
(March 30, Palm Sunday morning, Reverend George A. Weeks, A.M., entered upon the rest in Paradise.
Bishop Dudley said, “He was one of the clergy of the Diocese when I came to Kentucky. He had come from Newport in 1865, I think, to assume the Rectorship of St. Peter’s Church, Paris. In Paris he married his wife. There his only child was born; there his young wife was taken away from him; and there for long lonely years, and feeble in health, he toiled on bravely and most successfully. About four years ago he resigned his charge in Paris and became Rector of the church at Cynthiana while still retaining his residence in Paris, and in Cynthiana did most effective work.
A year ago he desired to follow his son to Lexington where he became assistant minister in Christ Church; and in this position he served faithfully and acceptable until ten days before his death. His works shall surely follow him, for of all the men whom I have met in the ministry, he was the equal of any as a teacher. His views were clear and their presentation lucid and pointed. He knew that ‘line upon line’ and ‘precept upon precept’ must be the method of imparting life-giving truth, and his pulpit instructions were systematic, certain. It was indeed instruction. Reserved in manner, devoted to study and to solitude, and not a ready mixer among men he, yet, by his still, quiet and persevering pursuit, brought a great number into the church, and so instructed them that they stay there and know why. I repeat it — his works shall follow him, and the churches at Paris and Cynthiana be his enduring monuments.”)
The Reverend C. L. Pindor replaced Weeks as rector, but he only stayed two years.
In May 1890 the parish purchased for $200, a strip of land adjacent to the church, to make possible the erection of a rectory. A year later in the parochical report there was noted a debt of $1,000 on the rectory, which was reduced by $400 in 1894.
No confirmations were reported in 1890 and only two in 1891.
The Reverend Pindor resigned September 1, 1891, to go to the diocese of Ohio. The parish remained without a rector until the following year when the Reverend Rolla Dyer resigned St. Peter’s Church, Paris, to accept the rectorship of the Church of the Advent.
(In 1890, Reverend C.L. Pindor took charge of the parish and remained about a year. Mr. Pindar reported at the council: “Number of families 23, souls 120, communicants 72, public services 128, church building valued at $7,000, rectory valued at $2,200, indebtedness $1,000, Rector’s salary $600, total expenses $1,154.23.)
Reverend Dyer became the first rector to live in the rectory. He remained in the parish about five years and did a good job.
(April 1, 1892,the Reverend Rolla Dyer assumed charge. He reported a debt on the church building of $150, on the rectory $1,000, with money in the treasury $152.
On May 18, at Council, Bishop Dudley said, “I feel that I should not fail to make mention in this address of the loss of one of the pioneer churchmen of the Diocese, the fast friend and wise counsellor of our first Bishop, who served God and His Church for many many years, and now has fallen asleep. Dr. George H. Perrin of Cynthiana departed this life on the 16th day of July last, tenderly ministered to in his last days by the children whose mother and whose grandmother he, a childless man, had adopted in his heart and had worshipped and brought up.
In early life, as I have often heard him relate, he gave his adherence to the great reformer, Alexander Campbell, attracted by the simplicity and the reasonableness of the gospel, he proclaimed, his emphasis of the facts of our religion and the significance, and value of its sacraments, as over against almost spiritism into which, at that the so-called Evangelical Christianity had degenerated. But by and by, there came to him in the good providence of God, the full light of which he had seen but fitful gleams — the ancient revelation of the one Father, the one body, the one Baptism — and straightway with joy he received the sweet message; and I had almost added that like the great apostle, ‘Straightway he preached Christ,’ for thenceforth he became the champion of the Church of the Advent, Cynthiana, the aid he received from others being hardly appreciable. Until the very day of his death he was by far the largest contributor to the maintenance of the parish, and he did hope to consecrate a goodly portion of his estate to its endowment.”)
In September 1895, the Diocese of Kentucky was divided and the Reverend Lewis Burton was elected Bishop of the new Diocese of Lexington. The Reverend Dyer was present at Burton's consecration. The following September (1896), Dyer resigned the rectorship at Advent in order to go to St. John’s Bellevue-Dayton.
During the first year of the new diocese of Lexington, the Church of the Advent did not prosper due to the leaving of its rector. However, Bishop Burton gave liberally of his time to Advent as evidenced by the parish register. He held services twice, met with the Ladies Guild, administered the Holy Communion once, and attended the Sunday School once. The parochial report for the year 1887 showed the number of parishioners at 125, and the communicants at 67.
On the eighth of January 1898, the Reverend Franklin Anderson Ridout Jr., became the rector and also was missionary in charge of Christ Church, Richmond.
The Reverend Mr. Ridout resided in Cynthiana and went to Richmond every other Sunday. At the end of the year he resigned his work in Richmond. He also resigned from Advent on October 31, 1899, and was immediately replaced by the Reverend H.F. Spears, by appointment of the Bishop.
Shortly after his election as rector there was installed “a beautiful hand-carved alter [altar].” It is presently in use and is just as beautiful as the day it was installed.
The wood used for building the altar may have come from wagons that had been captured by the Union force in the battle of Cynthiana. So many horses were killed by stray bullets that there were not enough animals to pull the retreating wagons. Since not all the wagons were needed many were pushed aside. It is believed that two or three of these wagons remained on the lot next to the church for many years, and the wood was later found to be usable, so these “wagons of war” were transformed into an “alter [altar] for the Lord.”
EDITOR’S NOTE: Some skepticism has been expressed about whether Civil War wagons were 1) made of walnut wood, and 2) still in good shape when the altar was carved in about 1899 or 1900. However, author William A. Penn, from his book “Kentucky Rebel Town: The Civil War Battles of Cynthiana and Harrison County” (ISBN 978-0-8131-6771-8), offers these passage at pages 109 and 219: “The long column of Confederate cavalry, including some or perhaps all of a wagon train of twenty wagons and fifty mules captured at Tompkinsville, and buggies for the wounded, moved slowly to Cynthiana across narrow dusty roads lined by stone walls.” “Federal reports of the battle did not specifically mention capturing Morgan’s wagon train or give its location, but a newspaper reporter wrote that wagons and other impediments to a ‘rapid flight’ had been abandoned along the roadway to Claysville.” Indeed, Advent sits on U.S. 62, the highway to Claysville.
By Gregg L. Riley
Senior Seminarian, Episcopal Theological Seminary of Kentucky
May 7, 1979
Published monthly in the interests of the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Winchester, Kentucky, October 1925.
Every now and then someone makes the brilliant discovery that Henry VIII was the real founder of the Church of England. It matters not that this theory has been refuted time and again; it reappears with the persistence and vitality worthy of a better cause. There are probably some people who will always believe it, because they will to believe it; but to those whose minds are open…, we beg to submit the following facts.
At the time that Henry VIII succeeded to the throne of England, in 1509, the Church of England had been in existence for more that 1,000 years. Introduced into Britain by Gallic missionaries, it had been planted among the Britons during the Roman occupation of the islands; had survived the years of anarchy following the withdrawal of the Roman legions and the subsequent conquest of the land by the Angles and the Saxons; and uniting itself with the mission sent over by Pope Gregory under the leadership of St. Augustine, it had been consolidated into the Church of England, or the Ecclesia Anglicana, even before the Saxon Heptarchy had been unified into the kingdom of England.
Since then, the Church of England has had an honorable and distinguished history. Always considering itself a part of western Christianity and always orthodox in its beliefs, it was proud of its independence and quick to resent any attempts made to curtail its liberties, whether from king or pope. It readily acknowledged the spiritual prerogatives of the papacy, but resisted all claims to jurisdiction over the internal affairs of the church.
During the one hundred years preceding the accession of Henry, a gradual change — produced by various causes, such as the progress of humanism, dissatisfaction with the condition of the papacy and others — was brought about; and if it had been allowed to develop unhindered it would probably have produced a real reformation within the church during Henry’s reign.
However, Henry was a despot, and while he remained king reform was impossible. During his reign the tyranny of the papacy was abolished and the tyranny of the crown substituted. Henry’s various divorces were but incidents in his general attempt to make himself supreme in England. When he was a young man the pope had called him “Defender of the Faith,” and that early faith remained unchanged until his death. In the year 1539, eight years before he died, Henry caused the Six Articles to be passed to define the faith of the Church to which everyone upon pain of death was compelled to subscribe. They were as follows: 1) transubstantiation, 2) communion in one kind, 3) clerical celibacy, 4) vows of chastity, 5) private masses and 6) private confession.
The truth is, Henry lived and died a Roman Catholic. Whatever reforms were effected, which differentiated the Church of England from the Church of Rome, were accomplished not by Henry but in spite of him. Even the Prayer Book itself was not published until 1549, two years after his death. To have done such a thing as long as Henry remained alive would have meant almost certain death to anyone rash enough to undertake it. To say then that he was the founder of the Church of England would be almost like saying that Caiaphas was the founder of Christianity.
Throughout the new nation, the Revolution left a great prejudice against anything which hinted of English influence, and England’s Church unfortunately came under this opprobrium.
Those who opposed the Church ignored the fact that the founders of the new republic were chiefly churchmen; that of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, 34 of the 55 were Anglicans; that the first session of the Continental Congress in Philadelphia was opened by the rector of Christ Church in that city, who, clad in vestments, read the prayers; that in the convention to prepare the Constitution of the United States, two-thirds of the commissioners were churchmen; and that the Constitution of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America was ratified in the very same room in which the Constitution of the United States had been adopted in 1787 and was modeled after the national Constitution. So strong was the antipathy toward the Church of England at the close of the war, however, that its dissolution seemed inevitable.
Six years were required to iron out the ecclesiastical differences among the churches in the several states. At the end of this time, the churches had united themselves into a national body and had obtained from England and Scotland the episcopacy necessary for its existence. The organization of the Protestant Episcopal Church was completed in 1789 and by the end of the 18th century it was beginning to recover from the shock of separation from the Mother Church of England.
Only then was the infant Church able to turn its attention to the vast and sparsely settled regions beyond the Appalachian mountains and to send missionaries for the propagation of the Anglican faith.
The Reverend John Lyth (sometimes Lythe) held service two months after Daniel Boone and 30 others blazed a trail through the Cumberland Gap to the point of Boonesborough on the Kentucky River. Lyth was a representative of the first legislative assembly of the proprietary government for the colony.
The first public service of worship in Kentucky was conducted by an Anglican clergyman on May 28, 1775, at Boonesborough, beneath the spreading branches of a great elm. The stately words of The Book of Common Prayer, traditionally heard within the walls of cathedrals across the Atlantic, did not seem out of place in this green wilderness.
The first shots of the American Revolution were fired on April 9, 1775, but word of the event did not reach Kentucky until May 29, the day after the first Episcopal service.
There was, during the early 1790s at least one group of prominent citizens, designated as the “Episcopal Society,” who met together and held services on the farm of Captain David Shely, near Lexington on the Russell Road (now Russell Cave). It was not until 1796 that this same group became the nucleus of the first organized Episcopal Church in Kentucky with a clergyman to minister them. The clergyman was the Reverend James Moore.
The Diocese of Lexington includes half of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. The Diocese was created in 1895 when the Diocese of Kentucky, established in 1829, decided the far-removed regions of the Commonwealth could be better served by two smaller districts. Although the new Diocese yielded its historic name to the western division, many of the oldest and most beautiful parishes remained in the Diocese of Lexington.
The first Bishop and 17 clergymen faced the challenge of organizing a diverse and frontier area into a century of dedicated churchmen whose legacy enriches the Diocese.
G.H. Perrin, a physician and cattleman/farmer in Cynthiana, was born near Crab Orchard (Lincoln County) in Kentucky on Nov. 9, 1794. He was the son of Josephus and Elizabeth Perrin. They were the parents of 12 children, of whom Dr. Perrin was the second.
His paternal grandfather, Josephus Perrin, Sr., moved from Charlotte County, Virginia, in 1774, and with his family settled near Crab Orchard. This was long before the organization of the Commonwealth, and during the most perilous times of the “Dark and Bloody Ground,” while every male settler was compelled to act in the double capacity of farmer and soldier.
The mother of Dr. Perrin was also a Perrin. Her father, George Perrin, having been a farmer in Charlotte County, Virginia, moved with his family in 1784, and settled in Edgefield District, South Carolina. They raised a family of eight children, of whom the mother of this subject was the eldest daughter.
Both of these Perrins, together with two other of their brothers, entered variously into the army during the Revolution, and were soldiers during the entire war for independence.
The father of Dr. Perrin, Joseph Perrin, Jr., accompanied his father and family to their new home in Kentucky. Although young, he soon become conspicuous among the new settlers for his activity and boldness.
After the defeat of General Harmer at the battle of Chillicothe, Joseph aided in raising a company of volunteers, and as first lieutenant, marched with his company to the aid of General St. Clair, and was actively engaged in the battle that terminated in his inglorious defeat.
Some years after, having married in March 1799, Joseph moved with his family to Harrison County and located on the south fork of the Licking River, about eight miles below the town of Cynthiana. He there cleared and opened a farm on which he reared a large family, and where he resided until his death, in his seventy-third year.
He, at a very early age, took an active part in the political affairs of his state, and for over 23 served his county in the Legislature of the Commonwealth, having been repeatedly elected to the Senate and Lower House.
G.H. Perrin, the subject of this sketch, remained on his father’s farm until his sixteenth year, in the meantime having the advantages of the common schools of his neighborhood. During 1811 and 1812 he attended a select school in Scott County, under the Reverend Thomas Smith. In 1813 he entered Transylvania University, at Lexington, in which institute he remained until he completed his literary, classical, and medical education.
In 1814, while the war with England was still in progress, he left the university and volunteered for a six-month tour in the army; joined the 16th regiment; and marched with it to join the army of the North-West, at that time commanded by General McArthur.
He was in no general engagement. The war with England having terminated in 1815, his military life at once came to a close. On leaving the army, and when receiving an honorable discharge, he was highly complimented by his commander, General Gratiot, for the efficient manner in which he had discharged the very onerous duties of such a campaign. In compensation for military service then rendered, he long received a pension from the government.
In the spring of 1815, he returned to his home in Kentucky, and not long after he again returned to Transylvania University, and there remained until he had completed his medical education. The last year of his term he was a private student of the professor of anatomy of the institution, the celebrated Benjamin W. Dudley.
Late in the fall of 1817, by the urgent request of his relatives, he began practice in Edgefield District, South Carolina, remaining there for eight years. At the end of that time, in consequence of the climate, and his own health having been completely broken down, he determined to move back to Harrison County, in which he had been raised, and there he settled.
For two years he was unable to engage in the practice, only to a limited extent. As soon as his health was restored he gradually acquired a large and lucrative practice, which he retained until near 1840, when again his health failed. Having, however, accumulated a compentency for life, he abandoned the practice of medicine.
In November 1819, he was married to Miss Arabella, daughter of Mr. John Edwards, of Bourbon County. Her paternal grandfather, Colonel John Edwards, upon the organization of the state, was elected by the Legislature one of the two senators first sent by the state to the Congress of the United States.
Her maternal grandfather, Colonel James Garrard, had fortunately become the possessor of a patent that had been located on 10,000 acres of the richest land in Kentucky, which secured to him a large fortune for life. He was eight years Governor of Kentucky.
Dr. Perrin and his wife became a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and remained consistent communicants of the same. By his extensive charities and large liberality, he was among the most efficient members in originating and placing on a permanent basis the Church of the Advent, Cynthiana.
Having no taste for it, he never engaged in politics; was a Whig, and voted with that party until its dissolution; in the late war between the Northern and Southern States he sympathized strongly with the South, and during the war and afterward, voted uniformly with the Democratic party.
His first presidential vote was for James Monroe.
Having led a very active life, after his retirement from the practice of medicine, Perrin engaged actively in agricultural pursuits, and by his untiring energy soon become one of the model farmers of the county. He took great delight in raising fine stock, and was among the first farmers to introduce into Harrison County the highly prized and valuable short-horn Durham, which he bred extensively, frequently competing successfully at the different fairs with the most approved breeders of Bourbon and Fayette counties. In 1850, Dr. Perrin purchased from William Alexander, of Woodford Co., the bull calf, Langton, for which he paid $600, it then being only six months old. He also purchased of George Bedford, of Bourbon county, the celebrated Belle Duke, of Airdrie, by Duke of Airdrie, and a full brother of Kentucky Duke. His first cow was Valette, obtained from General James Garrard, and the produce of his fine bull, Exception. Perrin also purchased another cow, the produce of Dr. Martin’s bull, Bullion. With these as a start, Perrin engaged in the business for several years, but owing to his advanced age, he showed little interest in the late 1870s.
Dr. Perrin also held many local positions of importance. He was President of the Board of the Harrison Academy from 1825 until 1864, a period of 39 years.
Fr. K.E. Gustafson wrote the following history in 1976 to be buried with a time capsule.
The Episcopal Church of the Advent
122 North Walnut St.
June 27, 1976
To whom it may concern:
In this year, 1976, as our country celebrates its 200th anniversary, the Bicentennial, it has been decided to drop this capsule into the ground to be opened in the year 2026. Since none of us can tell what the future may bring, it has been decided that a current history might be enjoyable in the forthcoming years.
The church of the Advent is the eldest church in Cynthiana, the building having been constructed in 1855, the bell tower completed in 1861. The building is of native stone and was built primarily by slave labor. The original cost was $6,000. It was built under the direction of Bishop Benjamin Bosworth Smith, the first Episcopal bishop of Kentucky. Bishop Smith brought back a wooden model of Stoke Poges Church in England and from that model the church was built. The name, Church of the Advent, was chosen because the church was organized on or near Advent Season.
During the Civil War, Advent was a hospital for the wounded of the nearby battles. In 1893 the Rev. and Mrs. Rolla Dyer and the ladies of the Church carved a very beautiful altar which still stands today. To the right of the altar is the Apostles Creed, to the left, the Ten Commandments. The organ was the first pipe organ in Cynthiana and was given to the Church of Advent by St. Peter’s Church, Paris. During the next hundred years of existence, Advent has continued. Although never large, it has contained within its walls many of the leaders of the community. At the present time, 1976, the congregation amounts to about 50 people. It is a mission church owned and directed by the Episcopal diocese of Lexington. See attached list for the names of the active members.
At this present time the church has been repainted white throughout the interior and new hanging chandeliers have recently been installed. The vicarage which stands next to the church has recently been redecorated. The present vicar has been here three years, but over the past 20 years there have been 12 men here. For this reason, the church has not been quite as stable as it might be. Hopefully by the time this capsule is opened, Advent will be larger than it is today.
The Rev. K.E. Gustafson, Vicar
Scanned downloadable PDF files of early hand-written documents